Thursday, July 15, 2010

One Year In!

IMG_1832It's been a year since I started "My Year Without Cars". It's a bit of a misnomer though because it's not like I just made all the cars disappear. No, cars are a fact of life--to be tolerated and dealt with like noisy children or hemorrhoids.
I started out to see if I could change my lifestyle to become independent of the automobile/oil slave culture that seems to dominate everything. So how did I do, you ask? Well to be quite honest I am somewhat disappointed with myself because I couldn't cut the strings entirely. That's the part of my personality that never accepts any results--good enough never is. My own assessment is that I could have done much more. But then again, as some people have pointed out to me, I did a lot.
Here are some stats:
167 recorded trips
2,630 miles
127,479 feet of vertical climbing
Average speed 15.7 MPH
167,072 calories

I actually had more mileage but for various reasons they were not recorded so I will go with the record.
Believe it or not at least 90% of the mileage was "car trip replacement". So what does that mean in terms of impact? Well, rounding the numbers a bit, I saved about 110 gallons of gas. Multiply that by the amount of carbon in a gallon of gas (6 pounds for those of you scoring at home) for a total of 660 pounds, multiplied by about 3.7 when you combine it with the oxygen in the air and I saved about 2090 pounds of carbon dioxide. Maybe that doesn't sound like a lot but imagine that we could reduce the number of car miles driven in the US by 10%. Let's do the math--200 million cars driving an average of 12,500 miles per year. That's 2.5 trillion miles times 660 pounds of carbon dioxide. I don't care who you are, that's a lot of CO2 right there! (Picture Larry the Cable Guy reading that last bit for effect.) Anyway, you get the picture, if we could reduce that by 10% we would make a significant difference. A little change individually can add up to big numbers together.

So what else happened this past year? Well,
I'm in better shape than I have been in a really long time.
I finally did sell my car and gave myself a $6000 "raise" in the process.
I joined the New Jersey Bicycle Coalition as a board member and mounted the first ever New Jersey Bike Summit bringing together advocates from around the state.
New Jersey received a Bronze rating as a bicycle friendly state from the League of American Bicyclists and moved up to eighth from 10th place on the ranking list.
I raised $1500 for the Lance Armstrong Foundation and completed another ride in Austin, TX.
I inspired several people to shake the bonds of oil slavery and use their bikes for transportation.
I convinced ten other people to ride their bikes to the supermarket with me and buy a turkey and then deliver said turkey by bike to a Foodbank Thanksgiving food drive.
I experienced the changing of the seasons in a way that car bound people never will.
I rode a mountain bike with my best friend to the top of the Tourne at sunset and asked her to marry me. She said "yes"!
All in all it's been a pretty good year. So now what? In the spirit of continuous improvement (because good enough never is), I will continue my quest to cast off the oily chains of petroleum addiction, to wit:
I will double my transportation miles.
I will continue working to make New Jersey a better place for cyclists (watch out Portland, Jersey is in the house!).
This year we will get a "yes" vote on a 3 foot passing law protecting vulnerable users including cyclists, pedestrians, emergency workers, etc.
I will convince at least 30 people to join the Coalition.

So there it is. One year since I started. Maybe I should change my theme to "A Life Without Cars".
See the year in pictures here:
IMG_0399
The year in pictures

4 comments:

  1. Way to go Brendan...and congrats to you and Cat!! Try to keep perspective by realizing that a good day on the bike is better than ANY day in the car. As a member of the NJBC I also continually am working to fight the good fight on education and advocacy in our state. Small measures create a ripple effect...keep on doing what you're doing!
    Linda Rapacki

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bravo, from another NJBC member! (By the way, which lake is shown in your banner photo?)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's the Newark watershed area off of Clinton rd in west Milford

    ReplyDelete