Saturday, May 30, 2009

Bike Lane Marker!


Bike Lane Marker
Originally uploaded by brendan61

Seeing a bike lane marker in our neck of the woods is like seeing a rare species of warbler when you are out birding. Not that I would have any idea what that is like because even thinking about walking through the woods peering through binoculars looking for birds makes me depressed. But, to each his own. No offense to you bird watchers out there.
This marker was seen in the town of Madison, NJ while I was on a nice ride before work this morning. I completed a 42 mile ride at a sprightly pace of 18 mph but I had to stop to record this rarity.
While I was pedaling this morning I also rode into the middle of a charity ride for the local chapter of Habitat For Humanity. A lot of riders passed me in the opposite direction I was traveling in, some going fast, some going slow. It was actually a beautiful sight seeing all of those different types of riders. There were road bikes and hybrids, fit people and fat people, people dressed in flashy team kit and plenty in sweats and t-shirts.
When I ride my bike I wave and greet every cyclist I meet on the route. I am not one of those people that only acknowledges people on fancy bikes either. I don't care what you are on, or how you are riding it, if you are riding a bike you receive a " howdy!", or "'morning!". This morning was no different. I smiled and waved to all of the folks passing by. But the weirdest thing was happening. I noticed a lot of people were not even acknowledging my greeting. And it's not the people you would have expected. The obvious "non-enthusiasts" were all very friendly and seemed to be really enjoying the morning. The people showing the stone face were the guys on the fancy road bikes. Some of these guys were so grim looking that it made me wonder why they bother riding at all. So serious!! The other thing I noticed were that lots of the un-friendlies were riding Specialized brand bikes. Weird. It could be that there are just more people riding Specialized bikes but it seemed like the people on other brands of bikes were waving back more. I don't what it means, I just thought it was odd. Oh well, I will keep on waving.

No comments:

Post a Comment