Thursday, May 21, 2009

Street Clothes



Street Clothes
Originally uploaded by brendan61
As promised, it's Thursday and I rode in to work in regular shorts and a T-shirt. The 2 concessions I made to "bike" clothing were my shoes (my pedals are set up for SPD) and gloves, I hate riding with no gloves so I wore them. Sue me. So here's the set up. It is another fantastically beautiful day. I left the house at 9:00am with a temperature of 70 degrees F. Not too humid. The conditions were perfect. I rode at a leisurely 17mph. That sounds kind of like a lot but consider that the ride is mostly downhill (622ft elevation loss) and only 8.5 miles. I was comfortable while riding but when I stopped and got off my T-shirt was wet and, how do I put this, I was making my own gravy.The folks in Copenhagen apparently have weather more conducive to cotton than we do. I will be going back to "bike" clothing.

In other bike local bike news, we delivered 101 Police Bikes to 90 New Jersey Police Departments. The event, created by the Keith Neumann Foundation, was pretty spectacular. The Neumann Foundation was created 17 years ago to honor fallen police officer Keith Neumann. I have been working with Steve Toal, Keith's brother in law, for 15 years in supplying bikes to the foundation. This year, through an anonymous donation, the Foundation was able to purchase 101 bikes, which is equal to the number of bikes they donated over the past 15 years. The number 101 is significant because it was Keith Neumann's badge number. Police departments all over the state use bicycles as an effective tool for patrol and community policing. Good stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment