Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Back From The Store


Back From The Store
Originally uploaded by brendan61

Holy cow, what a week! I looked at my last entry date, last monday. Do you ever get the feeling that you must be blacking out for days at a time and you keep missing stuff? Time flies when you are overwhelmed. The picture above is Cathy and I on Sunday getting back from our breakfast and grocery ride. Sunday's weather was just about perfect and we enjoyed the day tremendously. Now it's Wednesday, June 10th already, and I don't feel like I am any closer to convincing anyone they should give up their cars every once in a while in favor of using a bike. I can understand why though. The weather during last week was soul crushing and this week is shaping up for more of the same. Still, I am committed to riding into work and last week I only rode in actual rain on one day and I actually enjoyed

the experience because I was clever enough to use rain gear. But weather can be pretty intimidating. Yesterday morning I drove in because of the copious amounts of lightning striking the ground. Had I been on my bike during those storms I would have to find shelter. Today I will ride a mountain bike to work instead of the Fargo and hook up with our Wednesday night mountain bike ride.

This past Sunday, instead of loading our bikes into the car, Cathy and I rode to the Tourne Park for some mountain biking, did our ride and then rode home. we didn't get into the car once all day! I set the bikes up to ride better on the street and then reset for trail riding. I think one of the lessons I am learning is that things we imagine to be more trouble than they are worth turn out to be completely the opposite. Getting over the inertia of laziness and just doing small, simple things, one at a time, add up to lots of things getting done in a seemingly effortless way. But the little tasks tend to keep piling up and so I must put my nose back to the grind stone and continue on. And remember, when it comes to using your bike more, or doing anything really, whether you think you can, or you think you cannot, you are usually right!

1 comment:

  1. Does'nt all this riding cut into your tv time?

    ReplyDelete