Monday, June 22, 2009

Rain, aaaarrghhh!


I imagine that the local suicide hotlines have been busier than usual this month. The rain just a keeps on comin'! I shot this picture on Monday morning with my new Canon G10 camera. This is the traffic on Route 80 Eastbound at about 8:30. Not too bad actually; at least it was moving! Notice the lovely shade of gray that has greeted us pretty much every morning since Memorial day. We had such a nice holiday that I guess now we are paying in spades. The rain did not start until I just got to work. Tuesday was the same. Steel gray sky, rain spitting down here and there and then showers all day. The sun started to come out in the afternoon and I figured I had a nice ride home ahead of me. I took the long way home and I met up with Cathy on the way. It's nice to have companionship on a commute. Sure enough, about 3 miles from home, even though there was a lot of sunshine peeking through the clouds, the rain started dribbling out of the sky once again. Then about a mile from home it was as though someone took a 50 gallon trash can full of water and dumped it on our heads. It rained haaaaaard! Cathy predicted a nice rainbow and sure enough, we were pleased to see it as we cruised up the final hill to home, the rain having stopped completely and brilliant sunshine welcomed us to the front porch. I would have taken a picture but I wisely stowed the camera deep in my water proof pannier bag and I, dripping water, did not want to risk destroying my new toy. No riding today (Wednesday) but still, our now constant companion rain, showered on and off during the late afternoon. Driving home tonight I started to ponder the dramatic sun tinged cloud formations swirling about and realized that we have had rain on 19 or 20 of the past 24 days. I can't remember ever having such a weird June and I have to wonder if the climate is changing irretrievably to this depressing pattern. I will ride more and drive less and hope that we are not too late.

3 comments:

  1. Say, were you riding up 46 outt hack its town this morning?? Guy was wearing some cyclcraft kit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No,that was probably Jeff, the manager of the Long Valley store

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool, well ask him if he knows about mine hill rd. up the side of the same hill but its a way cool, closed to traffic, beautiful road. If he wants a change of pace.

    ReplyDelete