Tuesday, July 21, 2009

5,6,7,8!

It's Tuesday, day 9 in the year without cars and rain is finally making an appearance this morning. Yesterday I had an early morning chore to run so I car pooled to work and home again but I have yet to get behind the wheel of a car. Here's my Honda Element sitting idle in the driveway and I am starting to really believe that owning this car is totally un-necessary. Over the weekend I did a 35 mile ride with my buddy Steve who was visiting from South Carolina and another 44 miles on Sunday with Cathy. I suppose having Monday as a rest day was not a bad thing but it did get me thinking about Javier, the guy that works at the store who does not own a car and rides his bike 7 days a week and averages about 40 miles per day. Javier looks like one big muscle and has about 6% body fat but I wonder what the physical impact is on his body. He never seems to be tired or unhappy about having to ride. When offered a ride back home if someone is passing by where he lives, unless the weather is particularly crappy, he generally refuses because he does not want miss out on riding! Maybe it's pride but he's pretty adamant about it. Anyway, I am seriously thinking about ditching my car permanently and adjusting my lifestyle accordingly. Anybody want a Honda?



1 comment:

  1. Great news! Looking forwards to your further car free adventures, and the sale of the Honda...

    It'S funny, but I do feel happier cycling, even when it's tipping it down.

    ReplyDelete